Saturday, May 19, 2012

Schedule Updates

We are almost to the single digits. I do not think there is any way that I can properly prepare myself for what the next few months of my life will hold. Since I hope to have some guests visiting the ole blog I figured I should give ya’ll an idea of my schedule and what exactly I am doing with my summer. This summer I will be joining Nehemiah Teams on my journey to the Philippines. This organization is affiliated with the IMB and this is their website, http://www.nehemiahteams.com/ -Check it out! They will be leading me to a very rural location in the southern-most islands of the Philippines and rumor has it, we will be visiting new villages that have not been part of this project in the past! How exciting!
May 31-June 4: I will be in Birmingham, AL for orientation. From what I hear, this process is pretty intense. This will include washing my clothes in a bucket (by hand), bathing fully clothed outside, and function just as we will in the field with things such as food and sleeping conditions. 
June 5: Atlanta -- Dallas -- LAX -- We will leave out of LAX at 10:35PM for a 16 hour and 30 minute flight to Manila and will arrive there at 5:55AM on June 7. We will then take further transportation and arrive at our final location on a more southern island. Can you say jet lag?! 

The Philippines is 13 hours ahead of Memphis. (12:00PM Memphis = 1:00AM Philippines) I am blessed to have been able to travel in the past and I know that my field supervisors will be experts in how to counteract the time change. I have begun to pack my bags - I still don’t see how all of this will fit into one big backpack and one little backpack but I will just have to keep packing and see if anything will have to be left behind. Papaw was horrified to find out that I will not be allowed to take a suit case - well, guess I can't take the whole closet like I normally do! Looks like I will be learning to live on less. As silly as it sounds, this could be tough for me! 
I continue to thank you for the prayers and encouragement! I know that as the days draw ever nearer that my nerves may get the best of me, but with the Lord by my side I think that this adventure will be the opportunity of a lifetime. For without Him, I am nothing. My hope is to be a vessel carrying His name to those who have not yet heard the good news. Thanks for reading!
“Sing to the Lord, all the earth! Proclaim His salvation day after day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples!” 1 Chronicles 16:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...