Monday, September 1, 2014

Junior Year Adventure

It’s that time of year again- time for school to start back up. I am a Junior at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I am studying Microbiology with a minor in Hispanic Studies. Unfortunately, school for me started a week and a half ago on August 20th…way too soon. This year I am on the leadership team for the Baptist Collegiate Ministry which also happens to be my home for the year, but it also means I had to move in a week earlier than normal. I am in a tiny little room with no windows and a community style kitchen and bathroom, but it’s just enough for an on-the-go college student. I got to decorate with many of the things I bought in Africa, including the quilt on my bed! 
{As you can see, moving in wore Myah out}
Before everyone else made it to campus, we went on a leadership retreat in Western Kentucky. We had lots of meetings and planning but we also had some free time at the lake to swim and do some cliff jumping!
After the retreat, it was time for the rest of campus to move in. The leadership team got up early Saturday morning and helped Freshmen move in all morning. It was a great chance to get to meet some new faces and invite the Freshmen to check out the BCM! That night we served about 1,000 hamburgers/hotdogs to students and parents. It was a long day of hard work. 
Before classes started, Cody and I decided to take advantage of the time off and make the drive to the other side of the mountains on the North Carolina side for a nice day of hiking. Unfortunately, it was a dreary day of rain, but that didn't slow us down. We decided to move our picnic to the back of the car, and by the time we finished eating, the rain was pretty much gone!
The hike was a nice loop that was supposed to be about 4 miles but we ended up going about 5.5 miles {felt more like 10 miles uphill!}. We saw three beautiful waterfalls and were hiking next to a river for most of the hike. By the end we were both more than tired of the hills and bugs.
Classes started on that Wednesday and I also started a new job. I am now a clinical research assistant for a pediatric rehabilitation specialist. I get to help with the office work as well as accompany the doctor in with the patients and assist in whatever she needs. It is going to give me great hands on experience as well as teach me more about the other side of foster care. I will get lots of exposure to drug exposed babies, most of whom are now in foster care. Unfortunately we also have to report some patients to DCS. This is going to be an eye opening experience for sure. 
The weekend after school started, the BCM took an overnight white water rafting trip. I was lucky enough to be in a boat with 7 passengers, meaning only 6 people had to paddle and I got to sit in the front of the boat and just enjoy the ride {which also meant a face full of cold water every few minutes}. I came back with plenty of bumps and bruised, but it was definitely worth it.
Since then, it has just been class, work, homework, sleep- repeat. The campus is ridiculously crowded, especially with all of the lost, confused freshmen. I'm living for the weekends, which consist of Netflix and gourmet meals. 
I hope that everyone has had a wonderful weekend and enjoys their labor day! Here in Knoxville we have celebrated with a home opener victory over Utah State and the Boomsday fireworks! 

Happy Labor Day and GO VOLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...