Sunday, April 21, 2013

40 Day Challenge {Day 6}


Today is day 6 of the 40 day challenge that I have taken with Overcome the Lie. The past few days have been focused mostly in prayer for me. Lately, my prayer life has struggled. It seems forced, at times, and I really don't like that! It's a conversation - not an obligation. More on that later.

Yesterday, Ashley encouraged us to get into 1 John 3:1 
"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

Words that speak to my soul.  I am a child of God.

Today, I decided to keep reading into the rest of 1 John 3. It's a short little book that is packed full. 
As Christians, love is our defining characteristic that makes us most like Christ. We walk by faith, live in hope and love those that walk on the earth. 

And then this apostle gives us a very clear example to live by:
"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us."
It is the greatest love story of all times. I can't help but question my own life...do I embody that sort of love? A sacrificial love? 

I question my own life and then I look around me and I try to justify my actions. I find myself guilty of this far more than I know is right. I have talked with my mom often about how unfair it is that other can live self-indulgent lives. Lives with no sacrifice, that do not {from the outside looking in} differ from those that do not proclaim to be followers of Christ. But verse 17 is just like Jesus whispering in my ear, He leaves me with instructions to obey - the choice to be obedient.

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

Let the Holy Spirit be your guide. 
Through this challenge, He is bringing me back to a heart that is focused and fueled from God alone. Today, I am pulled out of my self-righteousness. The reminder of Christ's love for us leaves me gasping in breathless awe. Not with condemnation, but with a spirit to move on. To pursue a sacrificial love. An obedient heart that lets his love crash over me - It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...